When preparing for a trip wether it be by car, caravan, bus or motorbike you’ll want to take far to much STUFF !
Here’s a guide that’s served us well over many adventures in varying climates and the more trips you do the easier it gets to keep it minimalistic….. Remembering that size and weight are the big issues when packing your gear, as you can see in above photo of the Vstrom used in 2011 our panniers were small Givi units with homemade cylinders mounted to lower-side (low cost & easy to make – see photos below), large top box and mid size tankbag. If packed well you can carry a lot of Stuff. And remember carry less and if you need something, buy it along the way.
- Riding Gear – Helmet, all seasons jacket, Draggin jeans, boots, waterproof over pants, 2 x gloves (summer/winter), set of thermals, neck warmer, comfortable waterproof boots,
- Clothing – 1x jeans, 1 x shorts (that double as tog’s), 3 x jocks/knickers, 3x T shirts, 1 casual shirt (non wrinkle type), 1 x jumper, 2 x socks, 1 x runners, 1 x thongs, beanie/peak cap, sun glasses, light rain jackets
- Toiletries – Take small light weight containers (even make-up!)
- Camping Gear – We used “hiking” type gear for light weight and compactness.. 2 man tent, down sleeping bags(0 deg), inflatable pillows, 3/4 self inflatable mattresses, 2 x 3 legged stools, LED light, cooker (containing – frypan, 2 x saucepans, handle, mentholated spirits burner), 2 x aluminium bottles (water/metho), collapsable plates/cups/bucket, first aid kit, cutlery / utensils, small towels, cloths line, T towel, hand wipes, coffee/tea
- Bike Gear – Puncture kit, small 12V compressor, anti theft cable & lock, roll duck tape, cable ties, various screws/bolts, special tools, 2 x light weight tie downs, spare fuses, electrical test light, chain lube, spare keys/ignition/panniers, onboard USB charging point
- Luxury Stuff – Phone, Ipad, small laptop, TomTom GPS, camera/spare batteries/spare data storage cards, maps/books, chargers & leads, document satchel, sun glasses, carry bags,
The hard part:
- When travelling light you need to wash your cloths regularly, we did this while taking a shower and drying overnight. If drying looked like being a problem try asking for a loan of a hair dryer , works a treat….
- Don’t be embarrassed when you get home and have a look at your photo’s, invariably you’ll be wearing the same old thing in many of them.
Top Photo: This photo was taken on the bikes return from the 16 week European trip in 2011, when it was all laid out we couldn’t believe how much “stuff” could be packed into limited space !!